Steadfast Series: Introduction



I have a habit of brewing too much tea; often times having a whole pitcher to myself. As a result, I try to pour as much tea as I can into my cup so that it doesn't turn cold or bitter from being in the pitcher too long. Rather than looking at my cup to see when it's full, I focus on the pitcher to see if all the tea is gone. Without me realizing, tea starts overflowing out of the cup (I'm not making this story up for an analogy...my table has been soaked with earl grey tea numerous times). 

I do the same spiritually.

When I first became a disciple I focused so much on "steadfastness." To me, steadfastness looked like a busy schedule filled with Bible studies, reading the Word for hours, being involved in every church activity, and as a result...being exhausted at the end of the day. And nothing is wrong with that list when maturely planned, but my way of steadfastness led me to burnout and reliant on my own strength. 

I had thoughts like:
If my day isn't filled with "spiritual activities," I am not doing enough for the kingdom. 
If I'm not making a significant difference in people's lives, I fail to be a light.
If my Bible study doesn't end up with the person deciding to give their life to Christ, I am a failure as a disciple and lack the wisdom to teach. 

This list of thoughts might sound dramatic, but I truly thought like that in my heart. But notice how all of my thoughts focused on I and myself. I gave all the power and control to me and not to God. God is the one who gives us wisdom, knowledge, opportunities, and guidance (James 1:5 & 1:17). We shouldn't feel inadequate because we have been given all we need to be productive and steadfast in the Kingdom (2 Peter 1:3). We are sufficient because He is (2 Corin. 3:5). He is the one who will make the seeds grow, we plant and water (1 Corin. 3:7). And we can only shine when we spend time with the one who is shining (Exodus 34:29). 


When I lived my way of steadfastness it felt confusing: I was always in my Bible, yet I didn't feel refreshed. I was constantly sharing my faith, but I didn't feel the Spirit move. Serving felt redundant and quiet times like a chore. My works were out of obligation and not love. 

So God took me out of my destructive pattern and placed me where I could not be my way of steadfast. He placed me back home where there was no campus ministry, no daily Bible studies, less church activities to show me what true steadfastness meant. 

Here are some of the topics I want to focus on:
Steadfast in Rest
Steadfast in the Word
Steadfast in Fellowship
Steadfast in Serving
Steadfast in Fishing
Steadfast in Gratitude


Hopefully this series will help you see God's intention of steadfastness. And to brew enough tea, so that you can enjoy life and the plans God has for you one cup at a time.


"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
1 Corinthians 15:58



You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. Looking forward to your reading about your journey and insights in the upcoming steadfastness series.

    ReplyDelete