What is Leadership?






A conversation I had with a sister stays vivid in my memory because the comment she made baffled me. "I see you as a leader," she said. It doesn't take someone to know me well to assess that I do not fit the stereotypical characteristics of a leader: a go-getter, passionate, motivator, team player. I will also add that she said this moments after I was crying in the car. I saw myself as overly emotional, sensitive, a people pleaser, and terrible at setting boundaries. So here I was wiping tears in her car, feeling weak and poor in spirit, and she suddenly throws out that she sees me leading something? I casted that comment aside thinking that she must've said that to make me feel better.

Fast-forward two years later, I find myself in a leadership position with the church as a part time intern for our campus ministry. I wrestled with insecurity and wanting to prove myself worthy of the position through my achievements. The job I once found excitement and joy in slowly morphed into fear and anxiety. I knew I had to take a step by and ask myself, "what is leadership to God?" These are His people and not mine. If I wanted to be a good steward of His people I had to ask - What does it mean to be a leader? Why does God even appoint people into leadership positions? What are my responsibilities?

I was at a Christian bookstore to buy a Bible for a friend who recently became a disciple. That was the only thing I planned to buy, but as my eyes darted across the bookshelf a book that read "LEAD" stood out to me (maybe because of the aesthetic art). It was a God-sent book because it opened my eyes to what God intended leadership for his kingdom to be. This blogpost will probably be heavily inspired by that book, Lead: 12 Gospel Principles for Leadership in the Church by Paul David Tripp, but it is more so my own meditation and application than a review.


How do You View Leadership?

Let's take a step back and see how the world views leadership.

I automatically think of an outspoken person, someone who is confident in making decisions, and has their eyes on the goal. And if you google "leader," many images of leadership shows someone guiding people, inspiring, motivating, and striving to make a way. In kingdom leadership we also want to inspire our ministry and help guide the way, but if we place ourselves as the person on the front lines we will only burn ourselves out. A leader in God's eyes is never alone and never the one paving the way. Christ has already conquered and won, we are to follow the path He has already put out for us. To be a leader means to be a follower. 

Thus, a leader simply shows their ministry the path that has already been made. We as disciples follow Jesus, the pioneer (Hebrews 12:2).  And once again a leader is never alone, behind every leader is a group of support systems that are also leading them back to the path.

 

The Word of God : Alive and Active


 Leadership is a paradoxical way of God. What we think is strength is actually weakness and who we think is incompetent is exactly what God needs. It doesn't matter our gift, how well we do our job, or how liked we are, if we are not coming before God in humility. We need to see ourselves clearly to be used by God. He can use anyone to lead. Anyone.

David a young shepherd boy
Jonah a runaway prophet who didn't want the Ninevites to know God
Balaam a prophet who went against God for money
Samson who also disobeyed God

Time and time again God shows us that the vessels he uses has no power against His word. Salvation will come to those who seek Him with all their heart, despite the imperfect vessels of clay that carry the gospel.
But of course we want to be godly leaders, lest we are disqualified for the prize ourselves (1 Corinthians 9:27). All this to say is that we do not need to be insecure when we spread the Gospel. There is no need to wish we were charismatic, an amazing speaker, or have a master's degree in theology. As long as your heart is for God, His truth, and His people, all those other gifts will come later (plus each person is gifted in their own way). God's word will come back to produce it's fruits.

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:10-11 NIV)

 

A Leader is Consistent

We go through seasons of life, and it's normal for our walk with God to be in seasons as well. But consistency in our love for Christ must be a priority because with this, love overflows to all the other areas of our life - family, friends, and the ministry we lead. 

Here are some areas God is teaching me to be consistent in:
-Consistent in reaching out 
-Consistent in being a friend
-Consistent in working for the Lord even when favorable results don't happen

I thought about this idea of consistent leaders while I went for a run. Everyday in the evening there's always this man wearing a neon yellow shirt that runs his same route. My friends and I would call him "hero" because this man runs literal marathon. I know many people who run long distances, but to do it everyday...that's impressive. The distance he runs was impressive, but it's his consistency that made him stand out. That's why people remember him and look up to him. His discipline to show up everyday is very much admirable, and for our kingdom leaders to have this quality would benefit the ministries. People love consistent friends, they're reliable and safe spaces. Let us be leaders who can be consistent. 

A Leader is a Gardener

I admire those with a green thumb. I can hardly keep a succulent alive. But recently I've started decorating my apartment with plants and learning how to keep them green and growing. I realized how different but also how similar each plant is. They're similar in the way that they all need water, soil, and light, but different amounts of it. Each plant is placed in a different part of the house, a place where they can thrive.
Just as each person has their specific place so they can thrive.
To those who lead a ministry or small group, it's important to indicate where your members thrive as individuals. They have the soil, the water, the light, but whether or not they will grow in those conditions is up to a leader to be a good gardener and place them where they need to be.

But of course, we are only a reflection of the Gardener.

Conclusion...for now 

I finish this blogpost with a verse most leaders already know, but whether they know it in their heart will reflect in their leadership. 

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. (John 15:1-8 NIV)

 

Beneath the event planning, group gatherings, Bible talks, and studies; the community service, late night talks, and new friends... I've learned leadership is simply being the best example of a servant. If you find yourself in a leadership role, count it as a blessing to learn more about the servanthood of Christ.



There are often times I wonder why God gave me the opportunity to be a campus intern. I was going through an imposter syndrome the first year of being on staff for ministry. But like the sister that saw something in me, same goes for the ministers that asked if I would like to go part-time. They did not see my weaknesses, if they only saw that I doubt they'd want to hire me. What they saw was simply someone who wants to work for the Lord whether on staff or out. I'm forever grateful for those who have eyes of faith for me and continue to lead me to the truth of Christ. 



Jesus washes His disciples' feet:  “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. (John 13:13-17 NIV)

You Might Also Like

0 Comments