Dear Emily

Before I left New York I stopped by the Target in White Plains. Remember how we used to always share our faith and have Bible Talks at the food court there? Or how you always got parking tickets? (Haha let's not talk about your collection of parking tickets). I picked a cute little card that had a pinky promise picture on the front and drafted numerous letters, both on paper and typed out. But no matter how many times I rewrote it...no matter how many times I reread each sentence more than ten times... it felt wrong. I myself didn't have a problem with what I wrote. In fact, I thought it felt right. But something in me, that wasn't me, was saying not to give you the card. And almost 2 years later I realized that it was the Holy Spirit...the spirit was unhappy with what I wrote. 

At first the card sounded like it was filled with love and seemed like I was trying to be a peacemaker. But really I was just trying to make myself feel better. My card to you was very selfish. I rationalized my faults and pointed out yours, it had lots of expectations for you to change but not really myself, and I ended it with sweet words that I didn't mean or kinda meant (I knew what to say but my heart didn't actually mean it). My card to you was very long because I listed hurts and pains from months before. It was a record of wrongs. And every time I mentioned my faults against you, I sugarcoated and said, "I didn't mean to hurt you" and "I had good intentions." It was essentially a card all about me being, or at least me trying to be "the good one." But truly, Emily, all I needed to write on that card instead of those 5 paragraphs were - 


Please forgive me for falling short of loving you with Christ's love.


Emily, my dear friend. 
When I didn't confess my envy towards your gifts and talents, I failed to love you.
When I didn't communicate my loneliness when I felt left out, I failed to love you.
When I withheld advice that would've helped sharpen you, I failed to love you.
When I allowed my bitter roots to grow, I failed to love you. 


One night after you dropped me home, I asked if you had any prayer requests you replied, "I'm lonely." Instead of being confused and almost in disbelief (because you were always surrounded by so many people), I should've followed up and encouraged you. You are loved Emily, although it might be hard to believe it I love you even now. Forgive me for the times I fell short. I hope that if we meet again that you'll be patient with me as we both learn to be more like His Son.


I'm not exactly sure how to reach out to you since you have no social media haha. Maybe someday I'll conjure up enough courage to call your old number if it's still the same. But before then, I hope that you'll find this soon on this blog. Please remember that I still think of you and pray for you.

Love,
Angelina



Here are some of my favorite memories of you:
-The day I met you at d-hall during a snow storm and I saw your necklace and said, "Do you love Jesus??" And I saw your eyes widen as you replied, "You do too??"
-How we always got ice cream despite saying we'll eat healthier
-You and your Dunkin' Donuts coffee
-Late night drives and your terrible sense of direction
-How you always talked to every baby or kid we saw
-Being traumatized at Purchase together
-All the campfires, retreats, fire alarms, and late nights at the Brown's house

But I do think one of my favorite memories is going to our first Bible Talk together. It was the last table in the back of Starbucks. Gordon was leading a lesson on the parable of the sower. Teresa was there and also Charis, Kat, and maybe Ferdinand. Thank you for being with me during my first years as a disciple. You taught me about God's boldness, zeal, and intentional time with loving people.








You Might Also Like

0 Comments